Thursday, September 16, 2010

I'm going, I'm going where the water tastes like wine

El fin de semana esta aca por fin!

Belgrano doesn't have classes on Friday so every weekend is 3 days. Add to that 'dia de las estudiantes' Tuesday and I have a 5 day break! Dia de las estudiantes is a holiday for university students in Argentina that typically coincides with the end of midterms and the beginning of la primavera. We have classes Monday but I only know 2 kids that aren't traveling this weekend so classrooms will be empty.

After much deliberation and uncertainty, I have decided to go Mendoza this weekend. I received another grant (muchissimas gracias Auburn!) so I felt that was my cue to hop on a bus to wine country! I leave tonight at 9 and will arrive around 10 a.m. I'll have 4 full days of relaxation then Tuesday will be spent on a bus back to BsAs cramming for my grammar midterm.



I am beyond excited for this trip. Four days outside of the concrete jungle, speaking Spanish, taking bike tours through vineyards that hug los Andes- my life is a dream! 

Cute story. Mi amiga Kelsie has been going crazy for the last few weeks counting down until the day her dad would arrive for a week long visit. Every time I've spoken with her recently all she can talk about it how excited she is to show her dad around and have family around. So, this morning, she went al aeropuerto to pick him up. He told her he had to exchange some money so they walked to the cambio counter and SURPRISE! her little sister and mom came also! She had no idea. Everyone else back home knew about the surprise and, of course, Kelsie went nuts. I got a text from her at 7 this morning that said 'MY WHOLE FAMILY IS HERE!' Isn't that awesome!?

One thing that I enjoy observing is how parenting is the same all over the world.  Recently, Francisco came to our house for a visit. Diego and Florencia were playing peek-a-boo and for about 20 minutes, all I heard was "Fran! Donde estaaa? Hay estaaaa!" (Fran! Where are you? There he is!) And it's funny to see parents delight in their kids' clumsiness. I saw a little boy running down the sidewalk with his dog a few weeks ago. The dog was really excited and accidentally ran over the kid who ended up tumbling a few feet and crashing into a wall. It was followed by a horrific scream (he hit his head pretty hard) and the poor dog stuck his tail between his legs fearing punishment. But before all the mayhem set in, the dad- who was about 15 feet behind the kid- couldn't help but laugh at the tackle and tumbling that ensued. And just now, a little boy- maybe 5- didn't want to leave the cafe. Clearly the mom was ready to go. So, she packs up their stuff and says 'Estoy saliendote' (I'm leaving you!) The little boy persisted and when the mom walked out the door, he followed yelling 'Sos mala!' (You're mean!) She laughed, everyone near the door laughed and the kid pouted around the corner. We really are all the same!

Time for me to get la cuenta and head to the subte. Then packing for Mendoza!

No comments:

Post a Comment